D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jan 26 14:24:48 PST 2011

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 13:54:04 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote in message
> news:op.vpxphnlmtuzx1w at cybershadow.mshome.net...
>
> > On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:46:44 +0200, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
> >> Are you deliberately missing that point?
> >
> > I think everyone's just annoyed how you're fiercely defending an idea
> > that has a single advantage (terseness - I consider hashes unique in
> > practice), but a whole slew of disadvantages,
>
> Terseness is not at all the only advantage. As I've said before, you can
> reason about them, compare them, and get a general idea of "where" they are
> in the history. I don't think merging or "changing the past" conflict with
> that. And I'm really not seeing any non-trivial disadvantages.
>
> > and then criticizing Git & co. for  being "horrid" because they don't use
> > your idea.
>
> What? Are you actually trying to claim that defending/promoting one's own
> idea when another idea exists is a *bad* thing? Seriously?
>
> If we're going to go that absurd route, I can just make up the claim people
> are ganging up on me for having an idea that just happens to be different
> from Git's world-view. If Git does something one way then that *must* be
> the best way, right? Anything else is obviously just heresy, right? Bring
> on the stakes and torches, we're going to Salem!!

LOL. I think that part of what it comes down to is that you're making a big deal
out of what other people don't consider to be a big deal at all. Personally, I
don't care much about the revision number. Having incrementally increasing ones
might be nice, but if you don't have them, oh well. Obviously, you feel much
more strongly about it.

Personally, I'm not about to claim that git does everything the best way
possible, but I find it much more pleasant to deal with than svn. Other
distributed VC systems may be better. There may be a better way that hasn't been
found yet. I don't know. But I _do_ find git to be a major improvement over svn.

- Jonathan M Davis