D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Thu Jan 27 06:47:27 PST 2011

Nick Sabalausky Wrote:

> "Kagamin" <spam at here.lot> wrote in message
> news:ihp46m$b3$1 at digitalmars.com...
> > Nick Sabalausky Wrote:
> >
> >> official public repo: r184
> >> official public repo: r185
> >> ...etc.
> >>
> >> Versus:
> >>
> >> 9f4e5ac4f0a3
> >> 13cf8da225ce
> >> ...etc.
> >>
> >> I don't know about other people, but I find the former to be far more
> >> readable, far more descriptive, and actually possible to reason about.
> >> Sure,
> >> the latter can be copy-pasted and it still refers to the same changeset,
> >> but
> >> other then that it's meaningless gibberish.
> >
> > LOL, this meaningless gibberish is usually called a unique identifier.
>
> I don't care what it's called. *Both* of the above examples are obviously
> unique. Repo name + revision number *does* uniquey identify one and only one
> changeset. Are you deliberately missing that point?

Well, I was talking more about the "gibberish" statement. I was surprised how a programmer calls unique identifier - a well known concept - a gibberish.

As to revision numbers, well, it could be a nice feature to support hash identifiers with any attached text, which is just ignored by git, but helps people think about them... does hg work this way, I wonder?