Release: GDC for Windows

Daniel Green venix1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 15:35:47 PDT 2011

On 3/25/11, Kagamin<spam at here.lot>  wrote:
> Daniel Green Wrote:
>
>> On 3/24/2011 6:53 PM, Kagamin wrote:
>>> Is the AIX problem valid for windows too?
>> What is the AIX problem?
>
> https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/UserDocumentation#!known-issues
>
> writeln("hello world")
> compiles to 3MB exe which is approx 1/3 of libgphobos2.
> object file is just 3KB.
It doesn't.  The following sizes I think use shared libgcc.  Might be a
couple hundred more for a static build.  A lot of the size is overhead.

856 hello.o
682,987 hello.exe
112,128 hello.exe after strip hello.exe
39,424 hello.exe upx...

On 3/25/2011 11:35 AM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> The real issue here is that the GDC binaries that were just released
> weren't stripped. I guess Daniel forgot about that. :)
That was on purpose.  Unless it's an actual release, I won't strip them.

Also, stripping the GDC binaries won't have any effect on output file
size.  Stripping the phobos libraries will, but I believe you'll also
permanently lose any debugging information in the process.  A better
solution is to strip the outputted binary when your done with it.

Does GCC have something equivalent to Microsoft's PDB file?  Essentially
it's all the debug information stored in a separate file.