[Phoronix] Merging In The GNU D Language Compiler To GCC

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 5 06:19:06 PDT 2011

== Quote from dsimcha (dsimcha at yahoo.com)'s article
> On 10/4/2011 11:50 PM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> > My worst kept secret is out.
> >
> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTk2NA
> Awesome!  Two things, though:
> 1.  When will this actually happen?  Is GCC 4.7 going to have GDC in it?

Can't say. Hopefully things will be in before the 4.7 development window closes.

> 2.  How will the impedance mismatch between DMD Front End's fast release
> cycle and GCC's slower release cycle be handled?  I'm definitely not
> going to use the "official" version of GDC packaged with my Linux distro
> or MinGW or whatever when the front end is several versions out of date
> and each front end update contains major bug fixes and additions to Phobos.

I would imagine that the official releases would be 1 frontend version behind DMD
- given that there is a 2 month period of bug-fixes only before release. Whilst
the development trunk/snapshots will remain in sync.

Again, can't really say - it's too soon to be asking this. :~)

Regards
Iain