D2 port of Tango

Denis Shelomovskij verylonglogin.reg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:27:40 PDT 2011

18.10.2011 8:00, Caligo пишет:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM, SiegeLord <none at none.com
> <mailto:none at none.com>> wrote:
>
>     I just wanted to get the word out about a little project me and a
>     few other people been working on for the few past months, in case
>     anyone feels like helping out (or just as an FYI). This project is
>     the D2 port of the Tango framework library. You can read about it here:
>
>     https://github.com/haskelSiegeLord/Tango-D2
>     <https://github.com/SiegeLord/Tango-D2>
>
>     We are currently a little more than half way done in terms of
>     modules fiddled with. Currently there are 181 modules ported out of
>     approximately 343 (give or take 20). Currently only the dmd compiler
>     and Linux platform are supported... but obviously we want to get all
>     the other platforms/compilers as time goes on. I'm guessing at the
>     current rate of porting we'll be done in about half a year.
>
>     Now, the project is actually two projects in one.
>
>     The first project is a D2 port proper that tries to keep API
>     semantics the same as the D1 original. I preside over this aspect,
>     and you can see the rough porting guidelines in the repository. This
>     is the 'd2port' branch in my repository.
>
>     The second project is a more ambitious effort to rewrite some
>     aspects of Tango without preserving semantics or anything. mtachrono
>     presides over this aspect, so you can talk to him about the
>     motivations behind it. This is the 'master' branch in my repository.
>
>     That's all. Cheers.
>
>     -SiegeLord
>

> Why?  What's the point?  Why not work on Phobos instead?

+1 to Caligo. I agree that Tango is a good library (and was the best one
for D1) but, IMHO, porting it to D2 is a bad idea.
I'm the one who has a big D1+Tango project and I'd better rewrite it
with D2+Phobos, because:

     0. I don't want to have a "two standard libraries problem" with D2
(which one to select?).

     1. Phobos has a better design (Tango is too complicated in some
places, has a lot of things I (and a regular programmer IMHO) don't use,
and has bad design decisions sometimes - both internal and user API)

     2. Phobos has less _critical bugs_ because of better code control
(e.g. Tango has memory corruption bug for a very long time in Vector
container (#2064)).

     3. There is no Andrei Alexandrescu clone to generate that perfect
ideas for Tango.