video games (was Re: UFCS for D)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Apr 1 14:05:40 PDT 2012

"so" <so at so.so> wrote in message
news:vckzoemajryxvrwzciby at forum.dlang.org...

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPnIDiLJuuY

I've never even heard of that show before. Definitely a very good opening.

Looks like a good show, too. While I agree with "Can't judge a book by it's
cover", anime openings seem to strangely be an exception: Nine times out of
ten (yes, I pulled those numbers out of my ass ;) ), my impression of an
opening sequence is spot-on with how I end up feeling about the show. Ghost
in the Shell SAC, Death Note, Strawberry Marshmallow, Azumanga Daioh,
Blood+, Pani Poni Dash and various others are all shows I fell in love with
right from the opening sequence, and the shows themselves lived up to their
openings. And then there were cases where the openings and actual show were
both "just ok", etc.

What's really impressive about anime openings/closings though, is that they
really are a whole separate art form in and of themselves. For example,
Naruto's second (Japanese) closing ("Harmonia"), and Inuyasha's 7th closing
("Come"), are just pure artistic beauty. I was completely blown away by
them. Same goes for the openings (and closings) of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai
Champloo. Music videos have *nothing* on those (although I am a fan of Spike
Jones's work).

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RazOfS6mjfw
> ... and many more.

How could I possibly forget that one?!?

Yes, Light's Theme from Death Note is indeed one of the best anime songs
/ever/. Come to think of it, it would fit in very well on Marilyn Manson's
Holywood album - *and* be one of the real standout songs.

I actually have the Death Note soundtrack. Other equally-stand-out songs on
it are "L's Theme" (L was a fantastic character period), the title tracks
"Death Note" and "Death Note Theme", "Jiken", "Kinchou", "Senritsu",
"Kodoku", "Tokusou Kira han", "L's Theme B", "L no Nakama", "Tokusou",
"Taikutsu", "Teloelogy of Death" and "Law of Solipsism". That sounds like a
lot, but there's actually a *lot* of songs on the album.

The opening/closing songs are pretty good too. Gotta love that "Maximum the
Hormone" group: Japanese Death-Metal-slash-Ska/Punk. Crazy shit :)

>> Actually, that is insanely long, these would be the tops of the tops:
>
> Indeed there are tons! Too bad my first anime was "Samurai Champloo". It
> is like starting movies with Bladerunner and then have to endure soup
> operas like Star Wars mostly because of addiction (Probably i offended
> most of the interwebs now but that is what i do!).

Heh. :) I see Star Wars as more of an action movie than science fiction
though. And it's pretty damn good as an action movie (though I've always
been more in the Trek camp, myself :P )

Funny thing about Bladerunner though, for some reason I just couldn't get
into it when I tried to watch it. It just seemed really slow moving and it
kinda (dare I say it?) bored me. Maybe it's cause it was the director's cut?
I dunno. I've been meaning to give it another try though. Maybe the "Final
Cut".

There's a fairly recent movie though that's apperently based on another
story by the same author of Bladerunner: The Adjustment Bureau. *That* one I
was pretty impressed with. Sort of a "Michael" meets "Matrix" (And Total
Recall, also apperently one of his, is of course one of the best movies ever
:) )