2.060 on reddit

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at lycus.org
Sat Aug 4 06:09:50 PDT 2012

On 04-08-2012 04:57, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Saturday, August 04, 2012 04:44:12 Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>>> It's been discussed a time or two that we should have an incubator project
>>> for Phobos where potential Phobos modules go to be used and ironed out
>>> before actually being reviewed for inclusion in Phobos. But it's never
>>> materialized. Someone(s) would have to organize it and manage it, and no
>>> one has done so.
>>>
>>> - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>> I thought this was the idea of etc.* all along...
>
> Someone may have suggested that at some point, but that's not the way that
> it's used at all.

Well: http://dlang.org/phobos/index.html

"etc

This is the root of a hierarchy of modules mirroring the std hierarchy.
Modules in etc are not standard D modules. They are here because they
are experimental, or for some other reason are not quite suitable for
std, although they are still useful."

>> If nobody's against it, we should definitely get the ball rolling.
>
> I don't think that anyone's really against it, and it's not like it really
> needs to be official. The Phobos review process can be the same that it's been.
> There would just be a place for future Phobos stuff to be publicly tinkered
> with and allowed to evolve through usage rather than just designing everything
> up front as has often been the case with Phobos modules. The problem is that
> someone actually needs to step up and make it happen.

Well, what actually needs to be done? When can something be submitted
for etc.* rather than std.*? Etc...

--
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex at lycus.org