Awesomium D wrappers/bindings

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 06:25:10 PST 2012

On Saturday, 15 December 2012 at 03:41:12 UTC, Kapps wrote:
> My biggest issue with using something like this would be the
> lack of Linux support, and the lack of source code available.
> From what I understand, your wrapper originally didn't have
> source code available, but now does? Personally, I'm not too
> concerned about Awesomium itself charging for the source code,
> but I would consider including any third party library that you
> don't have the source code for and isn't *very* well known in
> your code that you don't have the source for to be
> irresponsible.
>
> As for the Linux support, as far as I understand RC3 is
> expected have Linux support, and Awesomium itself does support
> Linux. Games like Heroes of Newerth and Overgrowth use it, and
> both of those support Linux. It seems like RC1 supported only
> Windows, RC2 Mac + Windows, and RC3 all three?
>
> I hadn't heard of Awesomium before your post, and it actually
> seems quite interesting. I was originally intending to make my
> own OpenGL UI library when I reached the point where my
> programs / game needed an actual UI, but something like this
> seems like it would be really nice. That being said, that's
> still a long ways away, so this is mostly future thoughts.

awesomium has only 1.6.5 build for linux, it has their own C API
so you could start with it right now. version 1.7 don't have
linux build and public(!) C API(but it still in the shared libs),
but maybe final release would have linux build again.

also i've read somewhere that they give source by demand to
licensees.

i was thinking to do my own OpenGL UI too, but then i've done
some tests with offscreen browsers and find this way more
convinient, flexible and feature rich with a trade off just a
little more memory usage, this is especially not a big price for
a rich game ui.

i pushed repo to hosting, but it's still too raw to use in non
testing/learning apps. it has some flaws in memory management and
string interop between D/C++. lack of documentation, code
comments and examples would make incredibly hard to use it for
anyone who don't know D and Awesomium. and that's what i'm gonna
change once i had some free time. i think i can push commits
every 2-3 days, and finish most of the job on winter holidays...