ICE 0.1: a moddable shoot-em-up in D

Kiith-Sa kiithsacmp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 12:40:33 PST 2012

On Thursday, 20 December 2012 at 20:18:42 UTC, ponce wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 December 2012 at 18:41:13 UTC, Kiith-Sa wrote:
>>
>> Comments/criticism welcome (I've worked on a few toy game
>> projects, but this is
>> the first one that actually had a release; there are likely
>> many beginner
>> errors).
>
> Hi,
>
> If you are making a shoot-em-up (especially horizontal or
> vertical) you should be aware that the players in this space can
> be quite ann... er, hardcore. There are two things in your game
> that they
> hate with a passion: player inertia and lifebar. You might want
> to remove those because this will probably backfire in
> shoot-em-up communities.

Interesting. I do play shoot-em-ups but I wouldn't call myself
hardcore,
so I guess I might have missed something.
Removing/decreasing inertia might be a good idea, I see why it
might
frustrate some players.

However, what's the issue with a health bar? Most shoot-em-ups I
play
have one (and I'm not making a one-hit-you're-dead game.)

Is health bar undesirable because it obstructs the view?
(i.e. would a different way of showing health be preferrable?)
Or is it simply "not hardcore enough"? (i.e. player having no
information about health would be better? That would make the
gameplay worse in my view.)