update.sh

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Jan 16 00:54:34 PST 2012

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:jf0l94$1i6a$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 1/16/12 1:18 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2012-01-16 06:20, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>>
>>> Soo...you made a tool to do what DVM already does? ;)
>>
>> And only works on Posix.
>
> It's a simple 200 lines script that does something that someone working on
> dmd etc. needs.

Fair enough.

And to be honest, DVM doesn't actually do the git checkout just yet (that's
planned). But it'll compile it once you have checked out from git (Although
I think the recent move of the DMD download page from digitalmars.com to
d-p-l.org broke part of it - we admittedly need to fix that.)

> I just looked over DVM (on https://bitbucket.org/doob/dvm/wiki/Home). It's
> a large program, has a large list of dependencies,

It doesn't have any runtime dependencies.

As far as compile-time dependencies, that's only relevent if you need to
compile it, which should be very rare since binaries are already provided
for Win, OSX, Lin32 and Lin64.

> is largely undocumented (I'm unclear even to what extent it does what I
> need),

Fair enough. That's something we could use improve.

> it seems to do a ton of stuff I don't need,

Uhh...so?

> and there's no way it could be justified for inclusion in tools/.

Are there any other reasons for this besides what you've outlined? (If so,
that would help us.)

> It's great that DVM exists for people who need it, but I don't see a
> competition between it and update.sh.

I don't mean to say that your tool is bad or that you shouldn't have made
it, but the issues you addressed with DVM can be fixed, and really, I've
been detecting a bit of NIH coming from your general direction. I've noticed
that any time you want something, you go off and do it yourself, and to hell
with any part of the community that's been working on anything similar. If
you see a problem with the existing options, at the very least you could say
something instead of ignoring it and going cowboy-coder, running off
undermining anything that doesn't have the official "Championed by Andrei"
stamp.