Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:21:09 PDT 2012

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 06:00:02 -0700, Marco Leise <Marco.Leise at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:51:16 -0700
> schrieb "Adam Wilson" <flyboynw at gmail.com>:
>
> For the 2.059 release I waited a while until apparent regressions and
> oddities in Phobos (deprecation warnings) were fixed in the main
> repository before updating the dmd package for Gentoo. This was quite a
> bit of manual work collecting, applying and testing patches from GitHub
> and the bug tracker.
> Will this project be an option for me as a package maintainer? What I
> need is basically the official dmd zip file (sources, html docs, man
> pages, bash completion, rdmd binary & co.), but with hotfixes applied at
> about a week or two after release.
> It seems like your work could make this possible and also allow me to
> issue a new revision of the package in case of, say a security fix that
> comes a month after release.
> Last not least, will we get notified about critical/important fixes in
> the "stable" branch? 'Cause polling is so old-school ;). RSS, news
> group, email, phone call, anything will do. It looks like GitHub has a
> commit-RSS-feed, but it would be very noisy on most repositories with
> messages like "forgot this in last check-in" or "deleted unused
> file/code", and not every commit warrants a new package.
>
> As it shows, the beta phase doesn't always catch all regressions in
> people's code, so I encourage you to do this project and eventually it
> will be used by GDC and other major from-source projects. By the way:
> Should this also later become the base for the official zip file
> download? IIRC Walter wanted to keep track of the DMD downloads from the
> main web site (no redistribution) and hotfixed versions of D could
> become increasingly popular.

For the first few packaged releases we aren't going to call this thing
official. It's just an experiment for the moment. But if it is popular and
the stability promises we are attempting to make actually hold up, (i.e.
this experiment actually works) there are plans to revisit this question
with an eye towards making it official.

However, since the commit list will be bug-fixes and non-breaking
enhancements only, you may find it easier to work off this list than HEAD.

If you have any more questions on this subject please email Andrei. (You
can find his email at http://erdani.com/index.php/contact/) He is the
liaison between this project and the core team.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender