Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 11:01:15 PDT 2012

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 01:56:23 -0700, Leandro Lucarella <luca at llucax.com.ar>
wrote:

> Adam Wilson, el 16 de July a las 00:51 me escribiste:
>> As a result of the D Versioning thread, we have decided to create a
>> new organization on Github called dlang-stable. This organization
>> will be responsible for maintaining stable releases of DMD,
>> DRuntime, and Phobos.
>
> What will be the version scheme of this dlang-stable compiler? If the
> git master branch will be the "release", will you increase that version
> number on each and every commit?

We will probably only bump the version number for packaged releases.
Anything else is going to be a lot of relatively useless wheel-spinning.

> I think it would be a good idea to make real releases, with rc and
> everything to minimize the chances of introducing (untested)
> regressions (bare in mind that a lot of patches will not merge cleanly
> so knowing that the original patch introduced no regressions in the
> devel compiler doesn't mean it will be the same when merged in the
> stable one).

One option to help alleviate this concern is to do the initial cherry-pick
on a separate branch and merge it in once it passes the unittests. This is
a benefit of using a separate GitHub organization.

> That said, I think it was about time D separate devel from stable, so
> thanks for stepping forward :)

You're welcome!

--
Adam Wilson