Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 11:11:33 PDT 2012

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 01:29:35 -0700, Roman D. Boiko <rb at d-coding.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 16 July 2012 at 07:51:16 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> As a result of the D Versioning thread, we have decided to create a new
>> organization on Github called dlang-stable. This organization will be
>> responsible for maintaining stable releases of DMD, DRuntime, and
>> Phobos.
>
> Congratulations!
>
> I also proposed this idea:
>
>> Also, nobody is preventing any person that considers this to be very
>> important from creating a fork of stable branch and applying bug-fixes
>> there. If this happens to be a very useful option, then it could be
>> accepted as a policy.
>>
>> So my point of view is that it might be too early to have such policy
>> yet.
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/ovtazudocniqfcwzxpky@forum.dlang.org

That is effectively what we have done here. The dlang-stable repos are
forks of the current repos and rely on them for their bug-fix commits.
While not everyone agrees that this is the right path, it's the best
compromise we could come up with ... and everybody is unhappy, I'd call
that a success! ;-)

> Also I propose to have a download page with tracking statistics. This
> would be a nice feedback tool for multiple purposes.

Andrei has said that he would be willing to provide this support on the
website and Walter approves.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender