Coming Soon: Stable D Releases!

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Wed Jul 25 10:17:31 PDT 2012

Jacob Carlborg, el 25 de July a las 17:08 me  escribiste:
> On 2012-07-25 14:47, Don Clugston wrote:
>
> >If we had an agreed release cycle, it would not happen. The release
> >cycle would be a higher authority than any single person, even Walter.
>
> I don't think it's that simple. We would also need some kind of
> window when you're allowed to commit new things to the repository.

Like Linux's "merge window". It's simple, you accept new features just
for a short period of time, and then just work on stabilizing things and
bug fixing.

That said, I wish D never include new features (as a language) unless
there is a stable branch, which is still maintained for some time and
don't get them.

Bare in mind that DMD != D Programming Language, so adding new features
to DMD is perfectly fine for me, like COFF or a new architecture. As
long as it doesn't break old code is fine.

> This window could end one or two weeks before the release should be
> out. Otherwise people will think that just "their small commit" can
> be added just a day before the release day "since it won't cause any
> problems".

The window doesn't need to be too long, you can always develop new
features in parallel in your own branch while a release is being
stabilized. You don't have to wait for the merge window to open to
develop new features, is just a *merge* window, when it's open you're
new feature should be done already, the window is only there to say
"hey! Please pull from this branch!".

If you want a monthly release, I'd say a 1 week merge window is enough
(leaves you with 3 weeks for stabilization).