DCT: D compiler as a collection of libraries

Roman D. Boiko rb at d-coding.com
Fri May 11 03:29:57 PDT 2012

On Friday, 11 May 2012 at 09:28:36 UTC, dennis luehring wrote:
> Am 11.05.2012 11:23, schrieb Roman D. Boiko:
>> On Friday, 11 May 2012 at 09:19:07 UTC, dennis luehring wrote:
>>> does the parser/lexer allow half-finished syntax parsing? for
>>> being useable in an IDE for syntax-highlighting while coding?
>> That's planned, but I would like to see your usage scenarios
>> (pseudo-code would help a lot).
>>

> try to syntaxhiglight while coding - thats the scenario, parts
> of the source code isn't fully valid while writing

I depends on IDE. For example, sublime-text (and most likely
TextMate) uses regex for syntax highlighting. That makes it
impossible to use with for D in some scenarios (like nested block
comments). Any IDE that provides API for coloring will get
correct information if code is valid.

If it is not valid, it is only possible to handle specific kinds
of errors, but in general there will always be cases when
highlighting (or some parsing / semantic analysis information) is
"incorrect". I aim to handle common errors gracefully.

In practice, I think, it is possible to handle 99% of problems,
but this requires a lot of design / specification work.