Visual D 0.3.32 maintenance release

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sun May 13 23:37:52 PDT 2012

On 5/13/2012 3:25 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
> On 5/13/12 7:31 PM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>> With the workflow of bugzilla/svn it was just copy and pasting the diff
>> into the bug report. I understand it is easier on Walter's side, though.
>
> But where did you get the diff from? I'm sure you checked out the
> project and made the changes on it. If that's the case, then it's the
> same as forking and cloning.

With small patches to a single file (which is what most patches are), it
was just the diff to the svn working base that you could copy and paste
from a shell context menu command. You could even adjust the diff
manually to filter out other unrelated changes. With pull requests you
have to redo the patch on a clean branch of the full source tree.
Maintaining larger patches did get messy, though.

> I *do* expect contributions to appear in Visual D. Since it's so easy to
> contribute in github, and it is standarized: people know how to do it:
> fork, work, make a pull request (as opposed to making a patch, sending
> it... mmm... is that the author's email? I hope it does work. And I hope
> it checks emails and mine doesn't go to the spam folder! Um, maybe I
> should post in the forums... but does he read them? Ah, maybe I will
> leave the patch for another day).

Well, the bug-tracking system is/was probably the right place. But I
agree, the infrastructure provided by github is very impressive and
might be more attractive to contributors.