User Defined Attributes

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Nov 13 14:27:14 PST 2012

On 11/10/2012 12:21 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> Thinking of it this way don't make any sense. The whole point of an attribute is
> to tell a library about how to understand your code.
>
> If many library uses the same attribute, then it defeat the whole point of
> having attribute. This is why the discussion about disallowing any type as UDA
> exists in the first place.

I understand that. I just am not convinced of the scope of this issue, and I am
not convinced that a runtime attribute system is that applicable for this case,
nor am I convinced that exception handling is that applicable (all for reasons
already explained).

For another analogy, consider the type "int". Different modules impute different
meanings into it all the time, and it doesn't cause terrible compatibility
problems between modules.