[OT] Clang seems to implement modules

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Nov 18 12:17:55 PST 2012

Am 18.11.2012 18:51, schrieb Peter Alexander:
> On Saturday, 17 November 2012 at 11:03:18 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> I just read the slides of a talk from that latest LLVM Developers'
>> Meeting. It's a talk about modules by Doug Gregor from Apple. It seems
>> that they already have started to implement this new feature in Clang.
>
> It's about time...
>
> I honestly cannot believe that this wasn't #1 priority for C++11.
> Everyone that uses C++ for a living knows that compilation time is the
> biggest practical problem with C++, yet the standards committee seems
> completely unaware of this.
>
> Herb Sutter posted a poll recently asking what people wanted most from
> their C++ compiler. In the poll options he had things such as
> conformance, safety, runtime performance, but didn't even think to add
> compile time performance. Of course, everyone in the comments wasn't
> pleased with this.
>
> http://herbsutter.com/2012/10/03/poll-what-features-would-you-like-to-see-added-soonest-in-your-favorite-c-compiler/
>

> I get the feeling that the C++ standards committee was formed to serve
> Boost developers.

Sometimes I feel the same. Nowadays I work mostly with JVM/.NET
languages and every time I do something in C++, I really hate the
compile times.

I really don't understand why no one added modules to C and C++, taking
into consideration that the other systems programming languages of the
time already had them.

--
Paulo