GC vs. Manual Memory Management Real World Comparison

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:15:40 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 24 October 2012 at 23:05:29 UTC, Rob T wrote:
> In my case, I'm not too concerned about performance, or pauses
> in the execution, but I do require dynamic loadable libraries,
> and I do want to link D code to existing C/C++ code, but in
> order to do these things, I cannot use the GC because I'm told
> that it will not work under these situations.

You can very much link to C and C++ code, or have C and C++ code
link to your D code, while still using the GC, you just have to
be careful when you send GC memory to external code.

You can even share the same GC between dynamic libraries and the
host application  (if both are D and use GC, of course) using the
GC proxy system.