vibe.d 0.7.12 released

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Feb 11 13:11:13 PST 2013

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 20:08:44 +0100
FG <home at fgda.pl> wrote:

> Great project -- a flagship example of D's real world application!
>
> On 2013-02-11 19:11, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> > same code as Python, translated to D. Of course, the solution that
> > use vibe.d does not have Python's infamous GIL; instead, it comes
> > with parallelism and concurrency out of the box. And you are aware
> > of typos in your code even before running your program. ;)
>
> Running worker processes can make the GIL problem a little less of a
> PITA, but having the typos pointed out before running the app... is
> just priceless. :)
>
> I'm struggling with the temptation to move a Python website to vibe.d.
> What keeps me from doing that are Django templates. Not even because
> vibe's templates have to be recompiled each time some small markup
> change is introduced -- I got used to that with LaTeX ;) -- but
> because of Jade. It's way too far off course from HTML for my tastes.
> I see no reason for inventing a completely new format when all you
> need is templating.
>
> So let me use this opportunity to ask you: is somebody working on
> other template systems for vibe.d already or shall I get involved
> myself? I'm thinking about something similar to this, syntax-wise:
> http://jinja.pocoo.org/

I admit I'm not a fan of Jade either. Indent-syntaxes just aren't my
thing. And fixing the larger semantic issues I have with HTML/CSS isn't
part of Jade's charter, AFAICT. (That said, I don't have any problem
with it being in Vibe.d.)

Personally, I just use Adam's HTML DOM for D:
https://github.com/adamdruppe/misc-stuff-including-D-programming-language-web-stuff

I've built up a couple utility libs that use the DOM to help automate
some stuff (defining a page, caching rendered pages, repeating elements
on a page, building/validating forms). It's mostly independent of
Vibe.d, but I do use it with Vibe.d.

I've been planning to release those utility libs when they're a
little bit more ready (they're still a little too closely integrated
into a private project of mine, and they still need some more work).