vibe.d 0.7.12 released

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Mon Feb 11 23:44:54 PST 2013

Am 11.02.2013 20:08, schrieb FG:

> So let me use this opportunity to ask you: is somebody working on other template systems for vibe.d
> already or shall I get involved myself? I'm thinking about something similar to this, syntax-wise:
> http://jinja.pocoo.org/

I personally also wanted to start a purely text based template system for a while*, but never got
around to it, yet. My idea was to make something that is similar to the existing template syntax, so
it feels more consistent (i.e. use #{expr} or !{expr} for inserting strings). I also wanted to more
directly use D statements instead of special casing all of them, like the Twig-likes do - which is a
lot of work and probably has higher memory requirements during compilation (which is already often
at it's limit right now).

Of course, for people coming from Twig/Django it would be a big familiarity advantage to provide the
same syntax, and existing templates could be reused. So that would be great to have.

However, as soon as I really need it and nothing else exists yet, I will probably implement a very
basic version of the former that can be extended later. Twig, from the first looks, just seems like
much more involved than I can afford for this ATM.

* For HTML I very much prefer to have all the syntax overhead of HTML taken off. It's faster to type
and more readable (more readable also because it's possible to leave blank lines to structure the
code without having them appear in the output). But of course this is a topic of personal
taste/preference.