A Mathematician looks at D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Feb 20 04:27:45 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 at 09:11:15 UTC, so wrote:
> On Monday, 18 February 2013 at 22:07:00 UTC, Joshua Niehus
> wrote:
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/18r7zk/a_mathematician_looks_at_d/
>>
>> No "REPL", I guess we are rubbish?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read–eval–print_loop says almost
> ALL languages one way or another have it, mentions c/c++... a
> sick joke to someone who has C++ background and learning CL.

Well you always have CINT.

http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/cint

> It is like all computer industry is swarmed by marketing and no
> actual programmer/scientist left. REPL in CL is "live coding",
> not a language feature from future, something already there for
> many decades. You have an application *running* you change
> something, you hit a button and *instantly* you have the result
> right there in front of you.

Quite true.

Smalltalk and Lisp were already doing in the late 70's, funny how
we ended up exchanging such development environments for
primitive languages like C in name of performance, only to try to
duplicate them almost 50 years later.

Every time I see a live coding demo I can only laugh and remember
I was doing that back in 1995 in Smalltalk VisualWorks.