D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Jan 3 00:22:21 PST 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 13:59 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
[…]
> rhythmbox is a miserable program (at least on Ubuntu). It has a marvy feature
> where it randomly stops playing, and only a cold boot will bring it back. It
> also has random problems syncing with my music file database which is on a
> Windows shared folder. Getting it to recognize a just-added CD was an exercise
> in madness. I usually wound up deleting rhythmbox's settings file and starting over.

There was a period prior to Canonical dropping Rhythmbox and then later
reinstating it as the default player, that there were some problems with
Rhythmbox failing to work. It was painful. for the last couple of years
though, Rhythmbox has worked entirely fine for me on Debian Unstable
with none of the problems seen during that period. So Rhythmbox on
Debian works fine for me, far better than any other Linux offering.  OS
X offerings I have tried all, universally, fail to be at all appealing
or even useful.

> I finally threw in the towel and don't use Ubuntu to play music anymore.

I threw in the towel on Ubuntu when Unity came out as the default UI.

[…]
> I'll admit my backups were less than stellar. I stupidly clicked the "upgrade
> Ubuntu" button first. I'll also admit to not having a whole lot of patience with
> the problems with it.

I have an obsessively paranoid backup regime: RAID1 data disc array on
the server which does generational backups to the backup disc.
Workstation mirrors the data disc and has it's own generational backup –
it can become the server if the server fails. Each laptop mirrors the
server data. Not only does this mean I have never lost a file even
across server crash, disc fail or computer fail, each device has exactly
the same data configuration, which gets propagated. So sync up, switch
machine.

In this context a laptop blowing up, let alone a failed upgrade of OS,
is a mere mild irritant, fixed in a couple of hours

The core trick is to regularly backup /etc and dpkg --get-selections.
Debian state is then recreatable very quickly.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk