Managing email [ was Re: D 1.076 and 2.061 release ]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Jan 3 10:53:11 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 10:26 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
[…]
> 1. I control the backups

I run my own SMTP and IMAP server, including it's backing up. I like
control!

> 2. Third parties don't have access to my email history. I don't care what their
> "privacy policy" says - if they have it, they will use it as they please. You
> have no way to even discover what they do with it

I run my own SMTP and IMAP server, so no third party.

The NSA have all emails, no matter who else has them.

> 3. I've had email servers controlled by others "go dark", and poof, all email gone

As I run my own SMTP and IMAP server, if it goes dark then either my
server blew up or my ISP disconnected me. Email not gone due to backup
strategy :-)

> 4. I *need* my old email. More than once it has saved me from a lawsuit

I run my own SMTP and IMAP server, including it's backing up.  Old email
for some threads is definitely worth keeping.

I agree with not relying on an email service such as Google, etc.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk