D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jan 6 18:41:46 PST 2013

On 1/6/2013 6:15 PM, Pierre Rouleau wrote:
> So, given that enhancements are identified in Bugzilla, is there a review
> process?  Are ticket priorities and vote used?  Who decides what is the priority
> of an enhancement?   Who assigns them?

Pretty much anyone who wants to take one of them on does so and when done,
issues a pull request for it. At that point, there's a general discussion of it
and a decision is reached, usually by consensus.

> Also, given that view on the development of D, what is the position on the
> evolution of the language in context with backward compatibility and
> stability?   How can an organization of D users that are not also D developers
> can plan a project and use D for it?
>
> Do you consider D stable enough for outside users/organizations to start using
> it in their own projects?

Yes, and it is used heavily for commercial purposes by at least a couple companies.

Like any other language, if you insist on using the latest feature and pushing
it to the limit, you are more likely to run into problems than if you are a bit
more modest in your use of it.

That said, we make a large effort to fix all regressions upon each release, and
I push hard to avoid making breaking changes to the language unless it is really
unavoidable.