D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Pierre Rouleau prouleau001 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 19:30:27 PST 2013

On 13-01-06 9:41 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/6/2013 6:15 PM, Pierre Rouleau wrote:
>> So, given that enhancements are identified in Bugzilla, is there a review
>> process?  Are ticket priorities and vote used?  Who decides what is
>> the priority
>> of an enhancement?   Who assigns them?
>
> Pretty much anyone who wants to take one of them on does so and when
> done, issues a pull request for it. At that point, there's a general
> discussion of it and a decision is reached, usually by consensus.
>

>> Also, given that view on the development of D, what is the position on
>> the
>> evolution of the language in context with backward compatibility and
>> stability?   How can an organization of D users that are not also D
>> developers
>> can plan a project and use D for it?
>>
>> Do you consider D stable enough for outside users/organizations to
>> start using
>> it in their own projects?
>
> Yes, and it is used heavily for commercial purposes by at least a couple
> companies.
>
> Like any other language, if you insist on using the latest feature and
> pushing it to the limit, you are more likely to run into problems than
> if you are a bit more modest in your use of it.

Understood, that's pretty much always the case for any programming
language.  Now, for someone from the outside, how would someone know
what are the latest features?

Would it be possible to identify the version number where a particular
feature has been introduced in the Language Reference?  If not, since
this is DDoc based, is it possible for someone to go back in the github
repo file history to identify what was added in the Language Reference
files between release to releases and document this somehow?

> That said, we make a large effort to fix all regressions upon each
> release, and I push hard to avoid making breaking changes to the
> language unless it is really unavoidable.

And I can imagine it's a lot of work...

--
/Pierre Rouleau