Shared Libraries [was Re: D 1.076 and 2.061 release]

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Jan 6 23:51:21 PST 2013

On 2013-01-07 00:19, Walter Bright wrote:

> I have fixed every single PIC implementation compiler problem that has
> been brought to my attention. If there are others, I am not aware of
> them. Please let me know the bugzilla issue numbers for any I have missed.

I know you have. The problem is that there might be necessary to do some
changes to the compiler. That doesn't mean there is a bug.

> DMD implements its own TLS on OS X because the OS X C compiler says "not
> implemented" when you try to create TLS variables. I had no other option.

Yeah, I know. I'm not complaining.

> The OS X TLS implementation is all done in druntime.

Not 100%. I'm thinking of the __tls_get_addr function which the compiler
calls:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/blob/master/src/core/thread.d#L4549

That function needs to know which image the given address belongs to. I
think that the compiler needs to supply that, in addition to the
address, but I'm not sure. If it does it requires a change in the compiler.

I can add this to bugzilla.

> Nevertheless, this does not impact Linux nor FreeBSD.

Mac OS X is my main platform. It's natural that I try to get it to work
there first.

--
/Jacob Carlborg