D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Jan 7 09:13:54 PST 2013

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 07:57:07 -0500
Matthew Caron <matt.caron at redlion.net> wrote:

> On 01/05/2013 03:01 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 08:20:19 -0500
> > Matthew Caron <matt.caron at redlion.net> wrote:

> >> I gave that up years ago when I ended up with more than one device.
> >> Too much "did I get that email on my laptop or my desktop?" And now
> >> with tablet, phone, laptop, desktop, and several kiosk machines
> >> around the house (because how else do you watch Firefly whilst
> >> device proliferation continues...
> >>

> > Turn off "Delete email from server ten seconds after downloading
> > it". Either increase it to a sane time period, or disable
> > delete-from-server entirely. Problem solved. Worked fine for me.
>
> Isn't this just "leave email on the server", which is what I
> suggested?
>
> Of course, what you're saying is "use POP with leave on server
> enabled". A better solution is to just use IMAP.
>
> > Accessing *sent* messages can be a different story though, but using
> > your email client's setting for "BCC outgoing messages to..." to
> > send to a special "messages I sent" address works well enough.
> > Unless you need to use some shitty Fisher-Price email client like
> > the one in iOS, because then you're just fucked. (But if you need
> > to rely on iOS, you'll probably have bigger problems anyway.)
>
> Or, you just use IMAP.

I don't think you get a local copy of everything with IMAP though, or do
you?

> >> Windows is only
> >> suitable for playing video games, and I'm looking forward to
> >> Steam's release for Linux such that I can power on the Wintendo
> >> less and less.
> >
> > Steam on Linux? That's like installing hydraulics on a Formula 1
> > or a rusty nail in a jock strap. Nothing that involves "Steam" is
> > suitable for playing videogames, whether Win/Lin or anything else.
>
> It's view it as an online shop which allows you to buy and install
> games for your platform.

That view is the problem. Steam is *not* merely an online store, Steam
(just like iOS) is DRM made cool. And that asshole Newell has managed
to brainwash people into actually believing that Steam isn't DRM which
is patently absurd.

And as a "bonus", the Steam client itself is a very poorly written
piece of shitware. Slow, buggy, ugly, refuses to close when I click
the "close" button (one of those asinine programs like Skype that has
decided "Close" should mean "Minimize to tray" and shouldn't even be
optionally fixable).

Steam is NOT simply a store with community crap. And that fact that so
many sheep think that it is, is a big part of what makes Steam and
Newell so evil.

> I have no issue with this. I don't use all
> the fancy extra social video game crap.
>
> > I'd be willing to *release* a game, *non-exclusively*, on steam just
> > for the visibility and for the subset of PC gamers that are
> > unfortunately dumb enough to think steam isn't DRM, but that's all
> > steam is good for. Gabe can suck the shit out of my ass for
> > destroying the last non-orwellian gaming platform in existence and
> > essentially turning it into a goddamn iPhone.
>
> You don't have to use it, you know. There are other games. GOG.com
> has a pile, and many of them run just fine under Wine and or DosBOX.
> I'd like to see them do more Linux, and I hope that the Steam port
> will be the beginning of more entries on to the platform.

GOG.com is mostly for older games (which is great, of course). But most
"PC" games that are being developed and released now are exclusively
Steam. Even a lot of retail ones (like Super Meat Boy, as I was
irritated to discover after the fact) still require Steam and won't
even run without also starting up Steam (which of course must be
installed on my system).