Browsers (Was: A very basic blog about D)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Jul 21 03:00:16 PDT 2013

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 04:31:40 +0200
"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 16 July 2013 at 21:33:33 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
> > THAT'S POSSIBLE?!? PLEASE TELL ME HOW!!! Or is the forward/back
> > dropdown list still unified? That's the part that really bugs
> > me.
>
> I cannot for the life of me remember how. I'm looking at the user
> set about:config values and can't find it there either. But it is
> obviously still in force!
>
> The dropdowns are unified, but I searched for the thing and came
> across this:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noun-buttons/
>
> which claims to separate that too. idk if it is crap though. My
> general assumption with [s]add-ons[/s] [s]software[/s] most
> everyhing is that it is until proven otherwise, but maybe it will
> be good.

Ahh cool, last I checked that add-on was pretty much useless, but it
looks like it finally got a major improvement last year.

Hot damn! I think I actually managed to get FF *v22* to not suck! It was
an absolute royal fucking PITA though. It's amazing how much new
idiotic bullshit Mozilla manages to cram in and accumulate with every
new release, and never with any clear way to disable. FF has more dumb
shit to undo now than ever. But it seems to finally be possible, and the
under-the-hood improvements do counteract the problem pf needing to
load it down with so many more "undo Mozilla's latest brilliant idea"
add-ons. I think I'm going to make a little article soon explaining how
to do it all.

> > And it was color!
>
> indeed. And nice bright colors too, going back to the backlight
> but just the palettes in a lot of the older games seemed so much
> brighter than they do nowadays.

Haven't you heard? Real is brown!:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=222

The worst offender I've seen so far (of both the ultra-brown and the
ultra-bloom) is Need for Speed: Undercover (at least the PS3 version
anyway). It's somewhat of an older one though, and luckily Need for
Speed visual styles have gotten a lot better since then.

> > (Although I am one of the few people who did like FF: Spirits
> > Within...go figure.)
>
> That's a film I feel that I should give another try. I watched it
> once a while ago and was meh, but that could be due to bias since
> I've heard a few people say it really wasn't that bad.

It had a major audience problem: Gamers didn't like it because, aside
from having a Cid, there was nothing Final Fantasy about it (kind of a
strange complaint though, since at the time none of the FF games ever
had anything to do with each other.) And non-gamers weren't into it
because it was a movie that was (allegedly) based on a game, which is
never a good sign.

So it was disliked because it was based on Final Fantasy *and* because
it *wasn't* based on Final Fantasy. Quite an unfortunate situation.

Some of the animations were a little awkward sometimes, but considering
the state-of-the-art at the time, I thought it was entirely forgivable.
And hell, even if it had been crap, I'd still have loved it just
because it was a CG movie that *wasn't* a cartoon (or a mix of
live action with tons of obvious CG effects).