Article: Increasing the D Compiler Speed by Over 75%

JS js.mdnq at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 04:10:29 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 30 July 2013 at 10:08:22 UTC, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> JS, el 29 de July a las 22:32 me escribiste:
>> >
>> >If you google "program execution speed" you'll find it's a
>> >commonly used term. "Lines per second" is a common measure of
>> >compiler execution speed - google "compiler lines per second"
>> >and
>> >see.

>> >Speed is the reciprocal of time, meaning a decrease in time
>> >is an
>> >increase in speed.
>>
>> You are right, sorry. There is no difference.
>>
>> I think the issue is interpretation. When I read "X% increase
>> in
>> speed" I think "X% faster [in time]".
>
> I just want to point out that being so much people getting this
> wrong
> (and even fighting to convince other people that the wrong
> interpretation is right) might be an indication that the
> message you
> wanted to give in that blog is not extremely clear :)
>
> That was my whole point. If you used some easier measure to
> understand
> (like using time instead of speed) you could have avoided all
> this
> confusion :)

It depends on the audience, but to write an article that is
informal then use a very formal definition of speed is just
begging for problems.

It's hard for me to really imagine that lines is a measurement of
distance and speed is lines per second... but even if I allow
this I don't understand why it is a better metric than just time
alone(even though it is equivalent mathematically it is a
convoluted approach).

If a compiler can compile n lines per second, is that really all
that useful as a direct measurement? Are you saying I have to go
count the lines of code in my program? Do I count empty lines?
commented lines? etc...  Why don't you just give me the most
direct answer?

Time is really all that matters, everything else is just
obfuscation.