Article: Increasing the D Compiler Speed by Over 75%

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 14:40:11 PDT 2013

Are you serious that you can't fathom how it could be confusing to someone
than talking about differences in run times?
If you say something is faster than something else you want the two numbers
to be something you can relate to.  Like MPH.  Everyone has a clear concept
of what MPH is.  We use it every day.  So to say 25 MPH is 25% faster than
20 MPH is perfectly clear.  But nobody talks about program execution speed
in terms of programs per second.  So I think it's pretty clear why that
would be harder for people to grok than changes in car speeds or run times.

Anyway, congrats on the speed improvements!  When I was using D a lot, the
compile times for heavily templated stuff were definitely starting to get
to me.

--bb