DConf 2013 Day 2 Talk 6: Higgs, an experimental JIT compiler written in D by Maxime Chevalier-Boisvert

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Jun 8 15:55:17 PDT 2013

On 6/8/2013 2:23 PM, bearophile wrote:
> - D integer types have guaranteed sizes, but
>    they're not obvious from the name
> - Why not have int8, uint8, int32, uint32, etc. in
>    default namespace, encourage their use?
>
> I agree. It's hard to guess the size and signedness of types as byte, ubyte,
> wchar, dchar. I prefer names that are more clear.

It would only be a trivial problem for 5 minutes, only for ex-C/C++ programmers
who are used to suffering under variable sized ints, and will never be a problem
again.

Is it really a problem to guess the size of 'byte'? Or that 'ubyte' is unsigned?
Come on, bearophile!

And frankly, int32, long64, etc., have a large 'yech' factor for me.

Besides, if you really do want them,

     import core.stdc.stdint;