DConf 2013 Day 2 Talk 6: Higgs, an experimental JIT compiler written in D by Maxime Chevalier-Boisvert

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Jun 8 16:08:18 PDT 2013

Walter Bright:

> It would only be a trivial problem for 5 minutes, only for
> ex-C/C++ programmers who are used to suffering under variable
> sized ints, and will never be a problem again.
>
> Is it really a problem to guess the size of 'byte'? Or that
> 'ubyte' is unsigned? Come on, bearophile!

The size of "byte" is easy, it's 1 byte, but if you ask me a byte
is unsigned. I have learnt to be careful with byte/ubyte in D and
now I think I don't use one for the other by mistake, but I have
had some bugs caused by them.

It took me two or three years to to remember what's the length of
dchar and wchar.

New D programmer should not be need to learn such arbitrary
naming scheme, inherited from C++ :-)

> And frankly, int32, long64, etc., have a large 'yech' factor
> for me.

I think you meant to say int32 and int64 :-)

Bye,
bearophile