DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 21:08:55 PDT 2013

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 23:29:17 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

>> Property will ALWAYS have
>> value, even if almost everything else goes to shit.
>
> Unless you buy in Detroit! (And that's far from the only such example.
> Many small towns in America are like that.)

Correction, unless you BOUGHT in Detroit :)  If you buy in Detroit now,
it's dirt cheap and you get what you pay for!

Certainly it pays to do research about the community, and not just look at
the last year of sales.

My great uncle made his fortune during the great depression, simply
because he owned land/property outright.  When everyone lost everything,
so many newly homeless people needed places to stay, so he built very
modest very cheap housing.  They were grateful to have a place to live,
and he was able to avoid all effects from the depression because he had
the one thing that everyone needs, and they're not making any more of :)

-Steve