DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Thu Jun 13 22:48:16 PDT 2013

Am Fri, 14 Jun 2013 00:30:24 +0200
schrieb "Peter Alexander" <peter.alexander.au at gmail.com>:

> On Thursday, 13 June 2013 at 20:19:06 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > The differences between a graphical debugger and gdb are fairly
> > interesting in
> > that all the basic stuff is just way easier and more pleasant
> > in a graphical
> > debugger, but gdb has all kinds of advanced stuff that tends to
> > blow graphical
> > debuggers out of the water in terms of power.
>
> What can gdb do in particular that Visual Studio can't?

Can the visual studio debugger show the contents of registers? I found
this quite useful when debugging unit test failures related to floating
point code in gdc. info float shows the contents of the floating point
stack, status register and control register.

I know gdb is scriptable with python but I never used that.
Batch execution of commands is especially nice when used with dustmite
(https://github.com/CyberShadow/DustMite/wiki/Detecting-a-specific-segfault).