DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 15:30:24 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 13 June 2013 at 20:19:06 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> The differences between a graphical debugger and gdb are fairly
> interesting in
> that all the basic stuff is just way easier and more pleasant
> in a graphical
> debugger, but gdb has all kinds of advanced stuff that tends to
> blow graphical
> debuggers out of the water in terms of power.

What can gdb do in particular that Visual Studio can't?

Not trying to troll, I'm genuinely curious. I googled for
advanced gdb tricks to try and find some of the more advanced
stuff, but it was all simple things that Visual Studio does
(printing variables, disassembling, casting memory to arbitrary
types, pretty printing STL containers, conditional/data
breakpoints, running commands on hit breakpoints etc.)