D/Objective-C, extern (Objective-C)

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 17:10:35 PDT 2013

On 26 June 2013 04:06, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 6/24/2013 1:18 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
>
>> And I don't think it is very common in D either. Either way, if D was to
>> implement ARC for its own memory allocator instead of the current GC
>> (which
>> would be great) there's noting to prevent implementing it so that
>> reference
>> counts could be incremented from the middle address of a memory block,
>> it'd be
>> quite easy in fact, and quite necessary too because of the way arrays
>> work.
>>

> From my reading about ARC, it seems to me that we should support it now
> rather than later because:
>
> 1. people will expect it of D
>
> 2. non-ARC is inherently unsafe
>
> 3. migrating non-ARC code to ARC is error-prone and a major nuisance
>
> 4. non-O-C programs can also benefit from ARC (after all, reliance on the
> GC is the perennial dealbreaker for people wanting to migrate high
> performance code to D)

Yay! Since the conference, I'm finding myself more and more convinced that
what I actually want is ARC rather than GC... although this is just a
feeling, and completely untested in practise ;)
But I have experience with ARC on other platforms, and the fact it results
in predictable patterns makes it much easier to work with it.