DConf 2013 Closing Keynote: Quo Vadis by Andrei Alexandrescu

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed Jun 26 05:02:36 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 25 June 2013 at 21:38:01 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> I don't know the views of the key contributors, but I wonder if
> they would have such a knee-jerk reaction against any
> paid/closed work.  The current situation would seem much more
> of a kick in the teeth to me: spending time trying to be
> "professional," as Andrei asks, and producing a viable, stable
> product used by a million developers, corporate users included,
> but never receiving any compensation for this great tool you've
> poured effort into, that your users are presumably often making
> money with.

Obviously I can't speak for the core developers, or even for the
community as a group.  But I can make the following observations.

D's success as a language is _entirely_ down to volunteer effort
-- as Walter highlighted in his keynote.  Volunteer effort is
responsible for the development of the compiler frontend, the
runtime, and the standard library.  Volunteers have put in the
hard work of porting these to other compiler backends.
Volunteers have made and reviewed language improvement proposals,
and have been vigilant in reporting and resolving bugs.
Volunteers also contribute to vibrant discussions on these very
forums, providing support and advice to those in need of help.
And many of these volunteers have been doing so over the course
of years.

Now, in trying to drive more funding and professional effort
towards D development, do you _really_ think that the right thing
to do is to turn around to all those people and say: "Hey guys,
after all the work you put in to make D so great, now we're going
to build on that, but you'll have to wait 6 months for the extra
goodies unless you pay"?

How do you think that will affect the motivation of all those
volunteers -- the code contributors, the bug reporters, the forum
participants?  What could you say to the maintainers of GDC or
LDC, after all they've done to enable people to use the language,
that could justify denying their compilers up-to-date access to
the latest features?  How would it affect the atmosphere of
discussion about language development -- compared to the current
friendly, collegial approach?

... and -- how do you think it would affect uptake, if it was
announced that access to the best features would come at a price?
  There are orders of magnitude of difference between uptake of
free and non-free services no matter what the domain, and
software is one where free (as in freedom and beer) is much more
strongly desired than in many other fields.

> I understand that such a shift from being mostly OSS to having
> some closed components can be tricky, but that depends on the
> particular community.  I don't think any OSS project has ever
> become popular without having some sort of commercial model
> attached to it.  C++ would be nowhere without commercial
> compilers; linux would be unheard of without IBM and Red Hat
> figuring out a consulting/support model around it; and Android
> would not have put the linux kernel on hundreds of millions of
> computing devices without the hybrid model that Google
> employed, where they provide an open source core, paid for
> through increased ad revenue from Android devices, and the
> hardware vendors provide closed hardware drivers and UI skins
> on top of the OSS core.

There's a big difference between introducing commercial models
with a greater degree of paid professional work, and introducing
closed components.  Red Hat is a good example of that -- I can
get, legally and for free, a fully functional copy of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux without paying a penny.  It's just missing the
Red Hat name and logos and the support contract.

In another email you mentioned Microsoft's revenues from Visual
Studio but -- leaving aside for a moment all the moral and
strategic concerns of closing things up -- Visual Studio enjoys
that success because it's a virtually essential tool for
professional development on Microsoft Windows, which still has an
effective monopoly on modern desktop computing.  Microsoft has
the market presence to be able to dictate terms like that -- no
one else does.  Certainly no upcoming programming language could
operate like that!

> This talk prominently mentioned scaling to a million users and
> being professional: going commercial is the only way to get
> there.

It's more likely that closing off parts of the offering would
limit that uptake, for reasons already given.  On the other hand,
with more and more organizations coming to use and rely on D,
there are plenty of other ways professional development could be
brought in.  Just to take one example: companies with a
mission-critical interest in D have a corresponding interest in
their developers giving time to the language itself.  How many
such companies do you think there need to be before D has a
stable of skilled professional developers being paid explicitly
to maintain and develop the language?

Your citation of the Linux kernel is relevant here.  Do you think
that Linux would have had all that diverse success if parts of it
had been closed up and sold at a premium?  D's status as a purely
community-run project is an asset compared to corporate-backed
languages, not a liability.