Announcing bottom-up-build - a build system for C/C++/D

Graham St Jack graham.stjack at internode.on.net
Thu Jun 27 23:59:40 PDT 2013

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 08:05:08 +0200, Rob T wrote:

> On Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 23:03:40 UTC, Graham St Jack wrote:
>>
>> This isn't a build tool for everyone, but it really does make a big
>> difference on big projects.
>
> Well I'm noticing some interesting concepts, such as being able to
> associate an include or import file with the library to link in, so that
> it gets done automatically simply by using the include/import file,
> great idea assuming I understood that correctly.

That is correct. A side effect of assigning headers to libraries is that
bub can then enforce the visibility rules and give understandable error
messages almost instantaneously when you transgress them. Another
consequence is that the compiler only needs to be given a few -I
directives because you aren't using them to control visibility.

> One thing you may want to consider, or maybe this is already possible,
> is add the ability to optionally specify something like *.d so that all
> .d files get included from a folder, rather than have to always
> individually specify them manually.

A useful idea. I will add it to the list.

> Also more concise documentation with clearer examples would be
> invaluable. I'm currently unsure if I need to restructure my existing
> project folders to fit bub or if bub can be configured to fit my
> existing projects.

Documentation is always tough to pitch at the right level. I will see
what I can do.

Whether you need to restructure your project depends on whether you have
already thought about dependencies and arranged things accordingly.

My suggestion is to extend the example a bit and get a feel for how it
works, then think about what that means for your project.