Broken web forums threading? [was: DConf 2013 Day 1 Talk 2: Copy and Move Semantics in D by Ali Cehreli]

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Fri May 17 10:53:49 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 16 May 2013 at 08:08:37 UTC, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Thanks for pointing that out, but I think there is a problem
> with the
> forum software (I guess you are reading the NG using the web
> forums?).
> My client properly set the In-Reply-To: header. I checked
> manually the
> e-mail you replied to and have the correct Message-ID: of the
> post I was
> replying to in the In-Reply-To: header.

The problem is with Mailman, which is used to provide access to
the newsgroups in the form of a mailing list. Mailman rewrites
message IDs, so a mailing list user replying to a mailing list
user will break threading.

Sidenote: your client does not support format=flowed, which
causes text quoted from your posts to appear jagged.