DConf 2013 Day 1 Talk 5: Using D Alongside a Game Engine by Manu Evans

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed May 22 20:55:38 PDT 2013

On Thu, 23 May 2013 02:08:15 +0200
"Brad Anderson" <eco at gnuk.net> wrote:

> On Friday, 17 May 2013 at 13:28:20 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > Great talk. Vote up!
> >
> > http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1eiku4/dconf_2013_day_1_talk_5_using_d_alongside_a_game/
> >

> > Andrei
>
> Great talk indeed. My favorite so far (if I had to choose).
>
> Also, Microsoft just had their big XBox One keynote

Pardon the OT, but:

What the fuck?! MS went from their first...to "360"...to **"One"**?

"No, Halo 437 isn't for the XBox1, it's for the XBox One."

Between that and Win8, that's it: now I *know* Redmond has slipped
into the multiverse's "asylum" reality.

First, I thought "Wii" was an unimaginably dumb name. Then I think:

"Holy shit, they actually managed to top it with 'Weeyuu'
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JElywbkSbY>, I didn't think such a
level of dumb was even possible!"

And now, the mere following year, Microsoft manages to
out-Nintendo Nintendo itself by naming their *third* Xbox "XBox One"?!?
What the fuck is wrong with these people? Is there *no* sanity left?

I *used* to think "I miss when consoles has *good* names." Now I miss
*that*: the days then they had *merely* generic names, or even merely
*bad* names.

XBox One....for god's sake...

> and one of
> the games featured prominently was Quantum Break by Manu's very
> own Remedy Games.  Any chance the system you described in your
> talk is being used for Quantum Break, Manu?  XBox One is x86 and
> I can't think of a reason you couldn't be using dmd on it.

That would certainly be interesting to hear. Although unless they've
secretly had two AAA games in development, I imagine we can make a
pretty safe guess.