LDC 0.12.0 has been released

Kai Nacke kai at redstar.de
Wed Oct 23 11:26:39 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 23 October 2013 at 17:45:50 UTC, John Joyus wrote:
> On 10/22/2013 06:42 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> LDC 0.12.0, the LLVM-based D compiler, is available for
>> download!
>
> Congratulations!
>
> I am a D enthusiast who reads more *about* D than actually
> learning the language! ;)
>
> I have a question about LLVM.
> When it comes to performance, do all LLVM-based languages
> eventually match each other in speed for any given task, no
> matter it is Clang or D?
>
> I guess having or not having a GC (or different implementations
> of it in different languages) will make a difference, but if we
> exclude GC, will they be generating the same exact code for any
> given operation?

It depends. If 2 language frontends generate the same IR then
LLVM generates the same exact code. But in general you have
different languages features therefore the IR differs, too. (C++
classes are not available in C, C++ multiple inheritance in not
available in D, D slices are not available in C++, ...)

If the generated IR is too "stupid" then even the LLVM optimizer
can't help (e.g. look at the now solved issue #119
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/119).

And a functional language like Haskell is likely to generate
totally different IR.

> In other words, though two different languages are based on
> LLVM, can one of its binary exceed the other in speed?

Yes.

> Thanks.

Regards
Kai