[OT] My C++ talk at GoingNative 2013

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 10 05:57:02 PDT 2013

On 10 September 2013 11:10, deadalnix <deadalnix at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 9 September 2013 at 16:43:54 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>

>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1m1izv/goingnative_2013_writing_quick_code_in_c_quickly/
>>
>> Andrei
>

> So I'll jump in as I've seen the conf before that post.
>
> It is really worthwhile to watch. Quite informative on the technical side
> (funilly, I did implement the solution presented in the devirtualization
> part on a platform where virtual function were not available because of
> crappy compiler, but had no idea it was worthwhile for speed, it wasn't the
> goal so I never measured, and it also may not the case on the given
> plateform).

Interestingly enough, gcc recently added (about a month before Andrei
did the talk) a new interprocedural analysis pass that sets all
methods that can be devirtualised.  I expect that LLVM have something
cooking up for this too.  As of yet, I haven't ran any tests which
show that this works though...

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';