Updates to D graph library

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri Sep 13 02:15:46 PDT 2013

On Friday, 13 September 2013 at 08:45:45 UTC, ilya-stromberg
wrote:
> I see. You can use Boost Graph Library (BGL) as a initial
> point. It's under Boost license that allows commercial usage.
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/libs/graph/doc/index.html

I'm aware of the BGL, but I didn't find it a very nice design.  I
was also influenced by the fact that among colleagues who work
with the various graph libraries, none of them seem to favour it
-- whereas igraph seems both popular and high-performing (I
believe it can scale to larger data size than any other solution
out there).  But of course I may revisit that in future.

> Also, it would be nice to have graph library in Phobos in a
> future, and in that case module must be under Boost license.

Understood, although I never particularly saw Dgraph as being a
Phobos candidate, it feels a bit too specialized.  My impression
is that graph libraries tend in practice to sprawl out into
massive constructions, rather too extended for something like a
standard library.

But if the core functionality is something people are interested
in for Phobos, then again, I'm happy to open up the licensing
discussion.  I'm sure that the igraph authors would be supportive.