std.signal : voting has begun

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Jan 16 03:28:51 PST 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 10:42 +0200, Rory McGuire wrote:
[…]
> I vote: British English sentence construction with either American English
> or British English spelling.

Could always get the best of both worlds and avoid spelling bikeshedding
by using OED preferred.

[…]
> P.S. I think Programming English is pretty much American English. For
> example is there any API that contains the English word Colour?

Interestingly, or not, USA English spelling is predominently 17th
century English English. UK English was "re-Frenchified" in the early
18th century when all the us were added. So one could say that Color is
old-fashioned spelling and Colour is more modern spelling. With the
corollary that Americans haven't updated their dictionaries properly
since 1800 :-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk