dmd 2.065 beta 1

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 11:20:28 PST 2014

http://d.puremagic.com/issues/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&bug_severity=regression&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED
> [3] http://forum.dlang.org/group/dmd-beta

Can we *please* have a well-established, useful, naming scheme for tags and
packages? 2.064beta3, 2.064beta4, 2.064.2, 2.065-b1... Are you as frustrated as
me?

For starters, you guys should first decide should we have micro part of the
version at all? (major.minor.micro-qualifier) Please decide a schema and all
cases should be covered by it, including betas or what I would rather call
candidate-releases or release-candidates.

>From a standpoint of a RPM author - what I refer to as the "qualifier" (that is
how OSGI names it) is basically a build-number of the package. Sometimes we,
package maintaners have to rebuild set of packages because some configuration
parameter had to be changed, or some file was missing, etc. Upstream should
never specify this value. What upstream people should specify are major, minor
and micro values. So, whatever you name your beta/rc/cr etc, please stick to the
naming convention, otherwise it is going to make our life difficult.

I propose you name/tag the latest DMD package like the following: 2.065.rc1 .
When release comes up, it will be tagged 2.065.0 if there are 2.065 hotfix
releases, they should be tagged 2.065.1, 2.065.2, etc.

This is not my invention - smarted people than me come up with this, for a good
reason.

--
Dejan Lekic
dejan.lekic (a) gmail.com