dmd front end now switched to Boost license

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 14 11:52:06 PDT 2014

On 14 June 2014 19:03, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
<digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 6/14/2014 10:18 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>>
>> 14-Jun-2014 04:46, Walter Bright пишет:
>>>

>>> 3. Harmonization with usage of Boost in the runtime library
>>

>> In other words simplify licensing, but again compiler and runtime
>> library do not have to have anything in common. There is no issue to
>> begin with.
>>

> Uhh, *no*.
>
> Scenario A:
> --------------------------
> Them: "What license does D use?"
>
> Us: "Well, it depends if you're talking about the compiler or Phobos, the
> standard library. Phobos is licensed under Boost, whereas the compiler is
> dual-licensed under both Artistic and one of the many GPLs. (Although the
> compiler's backend is a source-publicly-available proprietary due to
> insurmountable historical IP reasons. But GDC/LDC are fully OSS.)"
>
> Them: "Uhh...what? And WHY? And WTF?"
>
> Us: "You see, blah blah blah inclusion into user code blah blah Phobos
> templates blah blah blah GPL alternative blah blah GDC blah blah..."
>
> Them: "Jeesus, nevermind..."
> --------------------------
>
> Scenario B:
> --------------------------
> Them: "What license does D use?"
>
> Us: "Boost. (Although the compiler's backend is a source-publicly-available
> proprietary due to insurmountable historical IP reasons. But GDC/LDC are
> fully OSS.)"
>
> Them: "Huh. Weird, but whatever."
>
> I'll take B, thanks. ;)

You should really practise explaining things in a more succinct manner. ;-)

When I look at a project, my first question is never "What license
does it use?" - that should be of little importance to anyone using D.

If you wish to contribute, your question should be smarter, reword the
question to "Does this project allow me freely study, modify and
re-distribute it's code, and does it guarantee that any contributions
I make are released under the same freedom as I get when I received
the software?"