Lang.NEXT panel (dfix)

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 20 06:04:06 PDT 2014

On 17/06/2014 20:59, Dicebot wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 19:48:42 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

>>> HAHAHAHAHAHA ! (The author of these actual tools will tell you the
>>> same).
>>>

>> I don't understand what point is it you're trying to say here...
>> Are you saying it's ludicrous that people have written complete
>> parsers for D?
>
> Parsing D is relatively simple but making any reliable changes without
> full (and mean _full_) semantic analysis is close to impossible because
> of code generation and interleaving semantic stages.

A lot of simple changes could be made with little or no semantic
analysis. I'm not talking about complex refactorings such as
Extract/Inline Function, Introduce/Remove Parameter, Pull Method
Up/Down, extract Class/Interface, etc.

Rather, simple fix changes that would be useful if the API or syntax of
the language changes. That's why I asked for examples of dfix changes
(even if for hypothetical language changes) - to see how easily they
could be implemented or not.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros