Bountysource activity

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Thu Mar 13 14:25:46 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 13 March 2014 at 18:38:45 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Generally though, I don't think the bounties are going to
> change much behavior; the only issues that will be addressed
> are the ones that we were going to do anyway, since the dollar
> amount is just too small to change a business decision.
>
> Take multiple alias this for example. I've looked at the dmd
> source for that before and judged it would be a pretty big job
> - probably a week devoted to it, if not more. The bounty is
> $100.... so that's, what, $2/hour? There's very little
> practical difference between that and doing it just because I
> felt like it; financially, I'd be better off flipping burgers.
> No real change to the incentive.

I agree with Adam.  While I think it's great that you're taking
the bounty approach, which I suggested sometime back, this isn't
enough money to incentivize people much.  It might get someone
like Brad, who had these issues on his todo list anyway, to
reorganize his list to put the bountied items on top, but it's
not going to do much more than that.

I still think D needs a paid compiler to drive real change,
hopefully someone will use ldc with the closed patches model I
laid out in this forum earlier and push that through.