Bountysource activity

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Thu Mar 13 14:45:40 PDT 2014

Adam D. Ruppe, el 13 de March a las 18:38 me escribiste:
> Nick recently did a patch for this one:
>
> https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1327154-dmd-never-inlines-functions-that-could-throw+
>
> we've had a lot of movement on this one
>
> https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1326911-dtoh-utility-convert-d-files-to-c-header-files
>
> and it pretty well works now waiting on the OK to merge:
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/tools/pull/39
>

> Generally though, I don't think the bounties are going to change
> much behavior; the only issues that will be addressed are the ones
> that we were going to do anyway, since the dollar amount is just too
> small to change a business decision.
>
> Take multiple alias this for example. I've looked at the dmd source
> for that before and judged it would be a pretty big job - probably a
> week devoted to it, if not more. The bounty is $100.... so that's,
> what, $2/hour? There's very little practical difference between that
> and doing it just because I felt like it; financially, I'd be better
> off flipping burgers. No real change to the incentive.

Yeah, I see the bounties more like a reward ("OK, you fixed something
I wanted to be fixed, there you go") than a motivator to fix issues (I
don't think anybody will say "Oh! I want to work in this issue because
I can make $100!").

Is still better than nothing, and at least a nice gesture to the
community, but definitely not bounty-driven development :D